A healthful lunch is important to keep children going through the day so they can carry out their tasks of learning, playing and growing. So what constitutes a healthy lunch? Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products are healthy choices. Include protein foods such as poultry, fish, beans, eggs, nuts and lean meats. Choose foods that are low in saturated fats, sodium, and added sugars.
It is just as important for parents to make healthy choices for their children as it is to teach children to make healthier choices for themselves. Involve your child by asking them what they would like to have in their lunchbox, discussing healthier options and encouraging them to help prepare their lunches.
Here are a few healthy lunch ideas to try with your child. Serve with a side of fresh fruit and/or vegetable of choice.
- Make your own Lunchables – Whole grain crackers, meat and cheese or whole-wheat pitas, pizza crust or English muffin, with spaghetti sauce and grated cheese
- Peanut butter and Jelly (or banana) on whole wheat bread, whole wheat mini bagel, or whole grain tortilla
- Mini Pitas with Leftovers – Fill mini whole wheat pitas with your leftovers: chicken, roasted vegetables, tuna salad, ground turkey etc.
- Vegetable wrap with hummus – Spread each whole grain tortilla with 1/4 cup hummus each. Fill with your favorite veggies, wrap and eat.
- Whole wheat pasta salad – whole wheat pasta (bowties, penne), veggies of choice, cheese of choice, and top with salad dressing of choice
For more nutritional information or tips from Brooke, please call 561-795-2823, email us at TheWellnessCenter@UltimaFitness.com or stop by The Wellness Center at Ultima Fitness 12799 W. Forest Hill Boulevard.