You’re one month into the New Year and you’ve started trying to live a healthier you. There are tons of little ways to practice Wellness, and some of them are so simple that they are often forgotten about. Here are 14 tips for Being Well in 2017. These are a great way to add to the wonderful start you have.
1. Water, water, water. Water is a healthy calorie-free and sugar-free beverage option. Additionally, drinking water temporarily fills you up, so you will be less inclined to snack in between meals.
2. Add 60 minutes of exercise to your day. If you don’t already exercise, aim to do 10 minutes each day. Add 10 minutes to each day every week for 6 weeks. By the end of March, you’ll be up to 60 minutes.
3. Inspire Yourself: Without exception, every human being has the ability to transform any weakness or suffering into strength, power, perfect peace, health and abundance. Believe in yourself!
4. Get moving at work. We all sit too much. One of the great things about wearables is that they can remind you to get up and move. Plus, if you sync it to the Ultima app, you earn extra points! So dedicate at least 5 minutes of every 2 hours to walking. Not only will it help you be active, but it can also help you relieve stress.
5. Go to bed 10 minutes earlier. By the end of the week, you’ll get an extra 70 minutes of sleep. Keep it up all year, and you’ll have slept 60 hours more. Imagine how well rested you’ll feel!
6. Commit to one healthy stress-relieving activity per day. You may quickly notice an improvement in your well-being. Yoga is great and it’s part of the Group Fitness Schedule which is part of your membership here at Ultima.
7. Pay yourself first. Money is a big stressor and wondering if you’ll have enough down the road is an even bigger stressor. Direct deposit allows you to split your paycheck between multiple accounts, so take a small part of it each week and have it deposited into a savings account.
8. Add an extra serving of fruit or vegetables per day. Each day, find a way to eat one more serving. You may have more opportunities than you realize!
9. Check the label: A product labeled with a fat-free claim does not mean that it is low in calories. Similarly a product labeled as low-sugar or low-carb does not mean it is low in fat or calories. Always read the nutrition label on the packaging.
10. Fix your posture. Your posture can affect both your physical and mental health. Work on keeping your head up, as if you were balancing a book on your head. Avoid slouching!
11. Control your portions. Limiting your portions is necessary for healthy eating and weight management.
12. Clean out the cupboards! Have a kitchen clear out. Get back on track by clearing out the cupboards and fridge. Have an amnesty on naughty foods; don’t feel guilty that you bought them, just trash them!>/P
13. Shut off the electronics. Take time away from your “screens” (cell phone, computer, TV, tablet, etc.) to benefit your physical and mental health.
14. Make Small, Consistent Goals. When creating new habits of any type, it’s good to make realistic goals, work toward them consistently, and reward yourself for even the smallest progress. This is also true with cleaning. If you set small, doable cleaning goals, such as 30 second chores, or a daily cleaning list you won’t get overwhelmed by the work.
Wellness is more than just working out. You need to eat right, reduce your life stress, get plenty of sleep, and eat healthy. Do those things and you will “Be Well” in 2017!